Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (2024)

Valdemarsrohttps://www.valdemarsro.dk/wp-content/themes/valdemarsro16/assets/img/header-logo.pngAnn-Christine Hellerup Brandthttps://www.valdemarsro.dk/mormordressing/Dip, Pesto, Dressing and similar.Family favourites, Grandma's food, Summer, Accessories Dinner

Recipe

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (1)Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (2)

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (3)

Grandma's dressing tastes to me of sunshine, Danish summer and lovely memories.

It is one of the simplest salads, and it is basically a very simple green salad with the classic sweet and sour granny's dressing.

It tastes so wonderful and gives the most wonderful atmosphere of holiday and summer life.

I serve the salad quite simply and I think it's best that way - and the granny dressing, just tossed over a green salad, is what our guests ask for the recipe for.

PT5MPT5M1

Grandma dressing

Total time5 min.

Working hours5 min.

Durability1 day

Quantity1 portion

Ingredients

• 1 lemon, the juice from it
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 dl whipping cream
  • flake salt
  • black pepper, freshly ground

Add to shopping list
Add to favorites
Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (4)Keep my screen on

Course of action

Stir the lemon juice and sugar together in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream, stir the dressing until it thickens a little and season with salt and pepper. The taste should be sweet and sour at the same time. Toss the dressing into the salad just before serving.

The dressing should preferably be used immediately.

Nutritional content

My notes for the recipe

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (7)

You can also find this recipe in the cookbook
Valdemarsro Dinneron page “326”

Also find the recipes in the Valdemarsro APP
Valdemarsro app has 4.8 stars in the App Store and has over 8000 reviews. We are simply so happy that so many people enjoy it 🥰
Get the Valdemarsro App here >>

Follow Valdemarsro on social media
Remember to also follow Valdemarsro on social media, and get plenty of inspiration for delicious cooking. You can follow alongInstagram,FacebookandPinterest

Dip, Pesto, Dressing and similar. Family favourites Grandmother Recipes Sommer Accessories Dinnerwhipping cream

‹ Previous post

Next post ›

34 comments

• Come onwrote:

9 July 2013 at 09:30

Your garden sounds really exciting. We have also got a lovely garden, but a lot of changes also need to be made. We are not big gardeners, so we must have cut down a lot of bushes and trees, moved around rhododendrons and sown grass and planted berry bushes for the boys to go and guffaw from. And finally made raised beds with strawberries, potatoes, carrots, peas, etc. Not so much, but again so the boys can go and guffaw from the garden.

10 July 2013 at 09:33

It really sounds like lovely garden plans - when there are edible delights in a garden, it just becomes so sensual and I love the sight of my two delicious children standing by the currant bushes with their hands full of red berries :)

• Susannewrote:

9 July 2013 at 09:32

Hi Ann-Christine.

Where did you buy the pallet frames from?

Etc. Susanne

10 July 2013 at 09:34

At Jyskpalleimport, I already got them yesterday and am busy getting them ready - will make a blog post about it next week :)

• Housewifewrote:

9 July 2013 at 10:43 am

the dressing is also lovely on scallions or summer cabbage (potatoes/potatoes?)

10 July 2013 at 09:35

Uhm, yes I could imagine - I love scallions! -don't you also call small cabbages summer cabbages?

• Tanja Mariawrote:

9 July 2013 at 2:36 p.m

Had completely forgotten about the old classic! But I must have established a modesty with that again!
    Your posts are always inspiring and enjoy following along!

Sunshine greetings
    Tanja

10 July 2013 at 09:36

I also think that grandma's salad is so classic that you can completely forget it exists - and that's a shame, because it's really good!

Have a wonderful day
      Kh Ann-Christine

• Monicawrote:

10 July 2013 at 00:40

Possibly it's called grandmother's salad. But here I get memories of my grandmother and her salad, which we ate in her allotment garden. Crisp, sweet and sour. And plenty of cream ;-)

10 July 2013 at 09:38

Yep, plenty of cream. It tastes SO good - cozy that it reminds you of your grandmother's salad in the allotment house

• Sabrinawrote:

10 July 2013 at 22:16

I've actually never tasted Grandma's dressing, but maybe I should try it soon - it looks delicious anyway :-)

11 July 2013 at 11:40 am

Yes, you must finally try that. It's so good :)

• Heidiwrote:

12 July 2013 at 11:52

The dressing also tastes good with very thin strips of carrots that you make using the paring knife

13 July 2013 at 09:21

Mmmm, god ide

• Henriettewrote:

13 July 2013 at 07:18

Must try this version of "grandmother" dressing :)
    My grandfather always made it with creme fraiche mixed with sugar... It also tastes great ;)

13 July 2013 at 09:22

How nice. Then we have both grandma and grandpa dressing ;)

• Measurementswrote:

13 July 2013 at 08:22

Hi Ann-Christine

First: Absolutely fantastic blog you have, quite new to the site but I love it!!! Nice to have a forum where enthusiastic mothers can nurture their interests - and then in favor of the children. Wonderful!!!

Next; made raised beds myself in our old garden (just moved). And we will definitely have raised beds with all kinds of goodies in the new house, but that will be next summer. Do some more research with those pallets. I guess pressure treated wood doesn't go very well with edibles, my husband made ours out of larch wood. It is of course somewhat more expensive, but probably also somewhat better for our sun rays and ourselves. Just a thought…

Thank you so much for a great blog, you are super inspired.
    Really good summer!

Measurements

13 July 2013 at 09:28

Hi Malene,
      Thank you very much for your nice sweet greeting, I'm really glad you think so :)
      I have bought pallet frames that are not pressure impregnated - I'm not too keen on that either! My pallet frames are heat treated and IPPC marked, which is perfectly fine in terms of environmental friendliness and edible items in the raised beds. I'll do a longer blog post about our raised bed solution next week.
      A very good summer to you too
      Sunshine greetings
      Ann-Christine

• hellewrote:

11 February 2014 at 14:11

hi ann-christine
    we always called the grandmother's dressing the grandmother's dressing. She always whipped the cream and that certainly didn't make it any worse :)

Regards Helle

February 12, 2014 at 12:09 p.m

How cozy :) And with whipped cream, it sounds quite delicious and nice and creamy.
      Kh AC

• Gretewrote:

2. september 2014 kl. 13:26

Grandma's dressing, from my childhood, was made with vinegar (common stock vinegar) and not lemon. Actually I still do ;)

• Throwwrote:

2 July 2017 at 19:46

Hi Grethe. Thank you for writing this. I'm sure my lovely mother did it. So thank you so much for it, I had forgotten how I did it, she's not here anymore, so nice that you do what she did, but lemon is probably good enough if you don't have vinegar. Thanks for the help.

2. september 2014 kl. 21:38

I haven't tried that, but at one point I tried apple cider vinegar in the absence of lemon in the house - it was also good :)

• Inge-Mariewrote:

6 October 2014 at 4:44 p.m

If I now have to make salad and dressing for 8 people, how much do you think I should use?

Dear Inge-Marie

7 October 2014 at 19:18

Half times as much should be able to do it, I'd think :)

• Jesper Løkkegaardwrote:

April 21, 2015 at 15:35

hi, regarding the pallet frames, you can, for example, lubricate them inside with a cheap cooking oil, so they last a long time and you are organic

April 22, 2015 at 14:12

Good tip – thanks for that! :)

• Throwwrote:

2 July 2017 at 19:41

Looking forward to Grandma's salad. My mom isn't here anymore, I love her dressing, so I'm looking forward to making it. I think she used a little vinegar too. Am I wrong? wh

• Marianne Nyropwrote:

25. december 2017 kl. 04:16

Dear Ann-Christine!
    What is today called Grandma's dressing is not the original recipe, as lemon juice is used.
    I am 69 years old and both my mother and grandmother made it - especially in my childhood.
    The correct is general. household vinegar which was then found in every kitchen. Lemons were not, as today, a regular item in the household, were only bought for e.g. fish and lemon cheese.

Kind regards, Marianne

• Gittewrote:

19 June 2018 at 13:49

Hello Valdemarsro

There is 1 portion next to the salad with grandma's dressing. How many people is it for?

Sincerely

Gitte

19 June 2018 at 13:57

4-6 pers.
      Kh Ann-Christine

• John Johansenwrote:

June 21, 2018 at 18:10

:-D
    I am 100% sure my grandmother never used cane sugar.
    - She died aged 96 here in '14.
    But the dressing brings back memories!
    Right from my early childhood. :-)

In a narrow twist, a (very) finely chopped iceberg lettuce can also be used.
    Although of course that is total sacrilege.

P.S.: Cane sugar is better! ;-)
    A little splash of balsamic doesn't hurt either.

• Tovewrote:

3 June 2021 at 22:34

Yes, grandma's dressing is lovely. I make it from creme fraiche with a little lemon oil and a few drops of sweet. For scallions, I often use rapeseed oil, lemon juice and plenty of cumin, it should preferably soak for a few hours KH ONLY ONE GRANDMOTHER

4 June 2021 at 10:28

Great tips, thanks for sharing ♡

write a comment

If you have questions about the recipe, you can find most of the answers here:Frequently asked questions about Valdemarsro recipes >>

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (11)

My name is Ann-Christine, and I am behind all the recipes here at Valdemarsro. My great passion is cooking, photographing and coming up with delicious and tasty recipes, which I love to share with you here at Valdemarsro, in my cookbooks and in my weeklymeal plan

Privately, I live with Martin, our children Julie and Johan and our lovely Golden Retriever, Mille.
If you want, you can read more
About Valdemarsro here...

Sign up for the Valdemarsro newsletter

×

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (17)

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (20)

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (21)

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (23)

Grandma dressing - Recipe for the best grandma dressing (2024)

References